background

Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Day 11-July12

St. Marks Cathdral


The inside of St. Marks. It's all done in gold mosaics. Pretty cool

This was right by the bridge where we were sketching when the foreigner came and took a picture with us. I wanted to draw a gondola coming through the bridge but they'd always pass through too fast for me to sketch, so FINALLY I got smart and took a picture to look off of. haha. Anyways, this is how most of them looked like. There were few variations.

My favorite little weighing machine in the grocery store. Too bad I look wasted in this picture

All of us waiting outside the trainstation. We are a lot of people!


This morning we had to check out of the hotel and then we just chilled around Venice for most of the day. First we sketched for a little while and while we were sitting and sketching a bridge some guy came over all of the sudden, put his arms around us, and had his friend take a picture. It was way funny. It totally took us off guard but we laughed for a while afterwards. Don’t worry, we didn’t get pick pocketed or anything. Haha. We tried to see St. Marks, which is a famous cathedral from the Byzantine era but we had to wait a while for it to open so we just sat around and sketched and the cops got mad at us for sitting in front of a store so we had to move. We had lots of adventures sketching today! I had my last gelato in Italy and then we just looked around at shops and things and ate calzone’s for lunch. Our hotel was really nice and they let us keep our luggage there and hang out in the lobby until we were ready to go to the train station. I LOVED our hotel and the people who worked there. They were SO nice and friendly and just the happiest people ever—best customer service I’ve had all year. We made an exodus to the train station after that and carried all of our luggage over a mile and a half of bridges and cobblestones. Fun. Fun. Fun. Our overnight train to Paris was 13 hours but aside from being super crammed it was actually way fun! I was with Kylee, Ashley, Megan, Amanda, and Michelle in one tiny little cubicle and boy were we hyper! There were three bunks on each side of the room and Megan and I were lucky enough to get the middle ones, so of course we had to make an awesome handshake between the two of us. It was pretty creative, let me tell ya. Ha! Ashley wanted to go check out the restaurant five train cars down before we went to bed so I went with her and I felt like I was in an action movie running between moving train cars. We even had our own theme music going until people in their rooms started looking at us funny. Haha. It was awesome! I think we had a little too much fun for our own good. Our beds weren’t comfortable at all and the bedding kinda grossed me out but it was definitely a memorable experience. I’m pretty sure I woke up feeling like I slept on cement all night. I slept pretty good actually, except for I had to go the bathroom at like 3 in the morning and we just so happened to be at a train station so I couldn’t. (for some reason you’re not allowed to when you’re at the stations). We didn’t leave the station for like an hour and I was so mad! It was kinda humorous though. That WOULD happen to me.

1 comment:

  1. One more memory from this day. There were these little smoothie places all over and they'd give out little samples to everyone passing by. Some were alcoholic though, so we always had to ask first. This one time, I remember the lady behind the counter spending like 5 minutes repeating to us which side of the counter had alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. She would sway back and forth and point as she drilled it into us..."alcoholic","non-alcoholic", "alcoholic", "non-alcoholic". I think she thought we were retarded

    ReplyDelete