background

Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 4-July 5

the spanish steps

roman forum

column remnants in the forum

more of the forum

Michelle and I holding up a roman cornice. we're super strong

We spent almost all day today at the Roman Forum. It was so freakin awesome! We were there for at least 5 hours cuz there was just so much to see! It was way fun to just see all the ruins of ancient Rome and it was especially cool when we’d recognize stuff that we learned in our history class last year. We stopped and sketched for a while and after wandering around for a while we stood in line to see the inside of a Roman house that still had frescos (kind of like murals) on the walls. It was so colorful! I think people always assume that everything back then was just white but it really wasn’t. The colors have just faded. I wish I’d taken some pictures but we were too scared. It was just Michelle, Amanda, and I and it was nice to be in a smaller group but we definitely had a lot more sketchy situations. The gypsies were everywhere today! Rome is a totally different place on Sunday…there are no cars in the street which was quite the relief because Italian drivers are insane with no sense of traffic rules. I feel like I’m going to get hit by a car every time I cross the street! After the Forum we went and saw the Spanish Steps which is the longest and widest staircase in the world. It was pretty cool. We slept for 5 hours when we got back to our hotel. Then we skipped out on dinner, packed our stuff up, and went back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment