background

Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 3-July 4

view from the dome of St. Peter's cathedral

potato pizza! and a spicy one...

the pantheon

St. Peter's Cathedral

St. Peter's was incredible inside

Today we went to the Vatican with our tour guide. St Peters Basilica was incredible! Definitely one of my very favorite places. Pretty sure I used a whole camera battery on it. haha. After our tour we climbed to the top of the dome through tiny winding staircases between the two domes (there's an internal and external one, and it's hollow in the middle so there's less weight and it doesn't collapse). From the top you could see a panoramic view of Rome and it was amazing. When we went back down all of our legs were literally shaking. It was so sad! I guess the walking is finally getting to us! Down in the courtyard there was some creepy black man following us around while we were taking pictures and then we got lost for 3 hours trying to find the pantheon! Later we found out that there was a warning for Americans to stay out of the area we got lost in (there were supposed to be some political demonstrations or something today) but luckily we were ok and we got some directions from an Italian cop, who was quite attractive. haha. The Pantheon was way sweet once we finally got there. It's kinda crazy cuz you expect it to be in some wide open space but it’s surrounded on all sides with tall buildings with only a small road in between. I have no idea how the Roman’s built all these things. After the Pantheon Amanda and I were the only ones who wanted dinner but it was kinda fun to be on our own. We went to a small little pizzeria and got the full Italian experience. No one spoke a word of English and we had no idea what we were ordering (not a single pizza looked familiar) but it turned out being pretty darn good. One of our pizza slices just had potatoes and cheese on it and who would have thought that could be so delicious! All the chefs came out when we got there, turned on the boom box, and started bustin’ out dance moves the whole time we were eating. They were all in their plaid pajama pants and it was the most hilarious thing! Wow, definitely a good day. We didn’t go to bed till 1:45 cuz we stayed up forever talking and working out our abs…sometimes we’re not very smart.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh this was the greatest day ever and I left out so many parts! K, so first of all, I left my watch on Utah military time (and backwards military time at that), so every whenever I looked at my watch it was this huge complicated math problem to figure out what time it was and would seriously take me like 30 seconds. Needless to say, sometimes I got the time wrong, and this particular day I thought it was dinner time but it was really only 3:30. Therefore, we ate our pizza way too early and Amanda was way mad at me when we found out what time it really was. Luckily, we ended up having leftover pizza to eat later on, but somehow (and this still confuses us) we ended up offering our pizza to Michelle so that she wouldn't have to go back into the city to get dinner with everyone else. So, although luck was in our favor, we ruined it and had to starve the rest of the night (it was too late to go back into Rome and make it on the shuttle in time...and the restaurant in our hotel was overpriced and not so delicious). But the very best memory of the day (and possibly of the entire trip) happened at the pizzaria. Amanda and I were sitting outside on our bench eating pizza, and after all the chefs came out and took their smoke break, she freaked out and asked me if I thought they washed their hands after smoking. I decided that they probably didn't and we were very concerned. Then she asked me if I got my hepatitis shot before I came, and I said yes. Unfortunately, she had not gotten hers and so she was freaking out about the pizza. haha. She decided that we had better bless the food, and so we both folded our arms and bowed our heads and said a prayer out-loud as everyone passing by on the sidewalk stared at us and thought we were crazy. It was the greatest moment ever! I laugh and laugh every time I think about it!!! A couple of the workers were even still on their smoke break so they were checking us out curiously. They probably thought we were so weird. Amanda I love you to pieces!

    ReplyDelete